Fall COMPAS Conference
Sustainability: Visions and Values
The Fall COMPAS Conference will take place on October 1 & 2, 2015.
See the conference webpage for session times.
Co-sponsored by the Mershon Center for International Security Studies.
Thursday, October 1, 2015
Session I: What is Sustainability?
What is it we're trying to sustain? What would a sustainable future look like?
- Omnibus Panel (all available conference participants)
- Moderator: Piers Turner (Ohio State University)
Session II: Institutional Responses
What sorts of institutions and institutional responses do we need to meet challenges and make sustainability practical, especially in business, local communities, and universities?
- Albert Cho (Xylem Inc.)
- Elena Irwin (Ohio State University)
- David Orr (Oberlin College)
- Moderator: Greg Hitzhusen (Ohio State University)
Friday, October 2, 2015
Session III: Global Justice
How are the costs, risks, and benefits of achieving sustainable systems to be shared within and between countries and regions?
- Allen Thompson (Oregon State University)
- Robert Mendelsohn (Yale University)
- Moderator: Michael Neblo (Ohio State University)
Session IV: Future Generations
What are we preserving for future generations? What are we trying to provide for future generations? Do our processes for evaluating policies reflect those goals?
- Alan Randall (Ohio State University)
- Bryan Norton (Georgia Institute of Technology)
- Moderator: Don Hubin (Ohio State University)
Session V: International Institutions/Cooperation
How can we meet the challenges posed by global environmental problems within the current international political, economic, and legal regime?
- Cinnamon Carlarne (Ohio State University)
- Andrew Light (George Mason University, U.S. Department of State)
- Alexander Thompson (Ohio State University)
- Moderator/Participant: Brent Sohngen (Ohio State University)