The Center for Ethics and Human Values promotes respectful discussion and interdisciplinary engagement on the ethical challenges that shape The Ohio State University and the broader community.
Led by ethics faculty from 7 different colleges at Ohio State, we run a variety of programs focused on:
- improving public discourse on contentious social issues
- creating community around research integrity
- providing professional development and mentoring opportunities to faculty, staff, and students
- fostering the shared values that underlie life and work at Ohio State
- supporting undergraduate philanthropy and ethics education
- training ethics postdoctoral researchers to be engaged scholars
- reaching out to schools, civic groups, community organizations, and companies
We would love to hear from you -- contact us!
Our Mission Statement:
"Among the central concerns of humanistic study are questions of how to live and what is of value in human lives. These are especially pressing questions for citizens of an open society, whose extensive freedoms provide both the opportunity and the responsibility to reflect upon questions like these and to choose lives that contribute to the community in which they live. The Ohio State University Center for Ethics and Human Values is a research center that aims to advance the understanding of these questions by encouraging research and writing on topics of ethics and value, including the history of thought on these questions, and by providing a resource for public discussions of foundational and applied moral questions.
The Center helps the University fulfill its responsibilities to students, faculty, and the broader community by advancing and disseminating knowledge of these central aspects of human concern. It provides a venue and resource for ongoing discussions of ethical issues within and across disciplines at The Ohio State University, including issues that arise within the academic contexts of research and education, as well as issues that confront us all as human beings and citizens aspiring to live worthwhile and rewarding lives."