CARE Training Program in the Responsible
Conduct of Research
Beginning Spring 2020
Building on our Conversations About Research Ethics (CARE) panel discussions, CEHV is now offering a training program in the responsible conduct of research for graduate and professional students, postdocs, and junior faculty seeking to satisfy federal ethics guidelines.
The format of the program involves 8 discussion-based training sessions per semester, led and moderated by CEHV ethicists with expertise in research ethics and integrity. Each session will utilize a “flipped classroom model”: participants will watch a video of a related CARE panel discussion and read a curated set of readings prior to engaging in substantive face-to-face discussions of case studies that highlight the distinctive ethical challenges facing researchers.
- Example of “Conflicts of Interest” resource page: https://cehv.osu.edu/flipping-the-classroom
Topics to be covered in the sessions include:
- Conflicts of interest
- Protection of human subjects
- Mentorship relationships
- Collaborative research
- Authorship and publication
- Data sharing and privacy
- The researcher as a responsible member of society
- Environmental and societal impacts of research
*For more information on federal RCR guidelines, see https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-10-019.html or https://www.training.nih.gov/rcr_and_applying_for_nih_training_grants.
Successful completion of the CARE Training Program will require regular attendance and participation in discussion sessions.
Key distinctive features of CARE Training Program
- Multidisciplinary – convening researchers from across campus
- Foundational – focusing on core values and principles, not just procedural ethics
- Exploratory – inviting reflection and discussion on real-world cases
- Expert-led – each session moderated by PhD trained ethicists from CEHV
CEHV's CARE Coordinators are Dr. Dana Howard and Prof. Pamela Salsberry. We are grateful to the Office of Research for their generous support.
Questions and Enrollment
If you have questions, please write to CEHV Director Piers Turner, email@example.com.