What role does religion play in the formation and preservation of national identity? What should we do when religious pluralism threatens the integrity of the political community? Are transnational religious commitments compatible with national political ones?
9:00-11:45 am: Session 1 - Islam and the Liberal State
- Mustafa Akyol (Freedom Project, Wellesley College)
- Zareena Grewal (American Studies and Religious Studies, Yale University)
- Shadi Hamid (Center for Middle East Policy, Brookings Institution)
- Amna Akbar (Law, Ohio State University)
1:15-2:45 pm: Session 2 - Religion and American National Identity
- Korie Edwards (Sociology, Ohio State University)